The Birthday I Wanted to Remember Differently
My birthday is over now,
and somehow, now that the day has actually ended, it hurts more than it did while I was living through it. Maybe because there is nothing left to anticipate anymore. No more maybe later, no more perhaps we'll still do something, no more hours left in the day that could somehow turn it around. This day came, stayed for twenty-four hours, and left. And somewhere inside me, I knew this could probably be my last birthday with you. That was the reason I wanted so desperately to make the most of it.
I wasn't expecting some grand celebration. I didn't want expensive gifts or extraordinary gestures. I just wanted to spend this one day making memories with someone who has been such a significant part of my life. There were so many little things on my bucket list that I had saved specifically for you—places I wanted to go with you, things I wanted us to do together, pictures I wanted to take, conversations I imagined having, random, stupid, ordinary moments that probably wouldn't mean anything to anyone else but meant something to me simply because I wanted to experience them with you.
And maybe that's what hurts. Because I told you. I told you I had plans. I told you there were things I wanted to do. But like so many times before, something simple became complicated. Everything had to be opened up, examined and questioned layer by layer.
What exactly are you planning? Why? What's the purpose? Why do you want to do this? What's behind it?
And somewhere between answering those questions and trying to explain myself, I stopped wanting to do any of it. Because when every simple desire comes with ten questions, eventually even something you were incredibly excited about starts feeling like something you have to justify.
And maybe what I secretly wanted was exactly the opposite. I wish, just once, you had asked me yourself. I wish you had been the one to say, "I know this might be our last birthday like this. I want to make it special for you. Tell me what's on your list." Or maybe, "Give me that ridiculous bucket list of yours. Let's see how many things we can do today." Or simply, "Come on, let's do all those things you've always wanted to do with me.
"Maybe we wouldn't have completed everything. Maybe we would have managed just one or two things. But God, it would have meant so much to me. Not because of what we did, but because you wanted to do it too. Because for once, I wouldn't have had to ask. I wouldn't have had to explain the purpose behind wanting a memory with you. I wouldn't have had to convince you that there wasn't some hidden intention behind it. You would simply have understood that this day mattered to me.
And yes, you were there. For whatever reason, you were there. But sometimes someone's physical presence isn't the same as feeling that they genuinely want to be there. And that's what I wanted. I didn't just want you to be there. I wanted you to want to be there.
There is such a huge difference between the two. Because when someone questions your intentions so much beforehand, even when they eventually agree, you can't completely enjoy it anymore. Somewhere in your head, you start wondering whether they are doing it because they genuinely want to or because you asked enough times. And I never wanted my birthday with you to feel like an obligation. I never wanted to feel as though I had put you at gunpoint and said, You have to spend this day with me.
Especially not this birthday. Especially not when somewhere inside me I already knew that this particular moment in our lives would never exist again. Because that's the thing I'm struggling with tonight. I will never be 31 again. There will never again be this exact day. And maybe there will never again be a birthday where you and I exist in each other's lives the way we do right now. Next year, I will be different. You might be somewhere completely different. Our lives may look nothing like they do today. Maybe we won't speak. Maybe we won't know what is happening in each other's lives. Maybe by then, I'll simply have to accept that the person who once occupied such a huge space in my everyday world isn't part of it anymore.
And that is why this birthday mattered more than perhaps I could explain to you. It wasn't just a birthday to me. It felt like the last chance to preserve a version of us before it disappeared. Maybe that sounds overly emotional. Maybe logically, one day shouldn't carry this much weight. But some days aren't painful because of the day itself. They're painful because you know you can never recreate them. I can celebrate another birthday. I can go to those places another day. I can complete that bucket list someday. I can take those pictures with somebody else. But I cannot recreate 31-year-old me, on this day, with you. That combination existed once, and now it's gone. That's why the things we didn't do are hurting more than they probably should. Because there is no next time for this exact moment.
And somewhere, perhaps foolishly, I wanted one beautiful last memory. Something that years from now, regardless of where life took us, I could look back on and smile. Something that would make me think, Whatever happened between us afterwards, I'm glad we had that day. I wanted one day without analysing what we were, without questioning where this was going, without trying to understand what every action meant, without expectations, explanations, suspicions or fear. Just you and me. Just doing stupid little things from my stupid little bucket list. Laughing. Taking pictures. Making memories. Being us for one last day without worrying about what would happen the day after.
But that day is over now. And the strangest part is that what scares me isn't only losing the relationship I once imagined having with you. It's losing your presence. The thought that someday you won't be somewhere around me anymore. You won't be within my reach, my vicinity, my everyday world. I won't casually know how you're doing. I won't know when something good happens to you. I won't have some silly reason to talk to you. I won't see you around and think, Okay, he's still here.
For so long, no matter how complicated everything became, there was still one last thread keeping our worlds connected. One last medium that meant we still had to talk, still had to see each other, still existed somewhere in each other's everyday lives. And soon, even that thread will disappear. Maybe your decision is right. Maybe completely separating our lives is what eventually needs to happen. And perhaps someday I will understand it without feeling this terrified by it. But understanding something logically doesn't make your heart immediately ready to live through it. Because how do you prepare yourself for someone going from being part of your everyday existence to becoming someone you simply used to know? I don't know.
And despite everything, I don't think you are a bad person. I really don't. I just wish, at least once, you had tried to understand what I was feeling instead of being so certain about how it would end. Because I wasn't a bad person either. Maybe we weren't wrong people; maybe our timing, circumstances, and the way everything began were wrong. And sometimes I wish we had at least tried to find out. I wish, just once, you had given me that place in your life—not forever, not with a guarantee, but simply a genuine chance to be the person I always wanted to be for you. Maybe it wouldn't have worked out. Maybe somewhere along the way we would have realised that you were right all along. But at least then we would have known because we tried, not because we assumed. And I know myself—I would have tried my absolute best to make it work.
Who knows, maybe the reality would have been completely different from everything you were afraid it would become. Neither you nor I can see the future, so how could either of us know for certain that we would have failed? An arranged marriage comes with the possibility of working beautifully or falling apart. A love marriage carries the same possibilities. And strangely, even a love that begins one-sidedly can someday become something completely mutual—or it may not. There are no guarantees anywhere. I never wanted a guarantee from you. I think I just wanted one honest chance to find out what we could have been, instead of spending the rest of my life wondering what might have happened if, just once, you had tried too.
And maybe that's why I wanted this birthday so badly. I wasn't trying to create the perfect birthday. I wasn't trying to force a future. I wasn't even asking you to promise me another birthday together. I think I was simply trying to make one beautiful memory before everything changed. And maybe somewhere inside me, I just wished you had understood that without me having to explain it. I wish you had looked at me and said, "I know we may never get this exact moment again. So tell me—what do you want to do today?" And I wish I could have handed you my list, and you could have laughed at half of it, maybe said no to a few things, and maybe we would have managed only one or two. But at least we would have tried. Together.
That's all I wanted.
Because now the date has changed. My birthday is over. And no matter what happens from here, I will never be 31 on 29th August with you again.
There may be other birthdays, other places, other people, other versions of me, maybe even happier ones. But this exact time, this exact age, this exact version of you and me will never exist again.
And maybe that's why it hurts this much. Not because my birthday wasn't perfect, but because I knew something was ending, and before it did,
I just wanted one day worth remembering.
~AV✍🏻✨
and somehow, now that the day has actually ended, it hurts more than it did while I was living through it. Maybe because there is nothing left to anticipate anymore. No more maybe later, no more perhaps we'll still do something, no more hours left in the day that could somehow turn it around. This day came, stayed for twenty-four hours, and left. And somewhere inside me, I knew this could probably be my last birthday with you. That was the reason I wanted so desperately to make the most of it.
I wasn't expecting some grand celebration. I didn't want expensive gifts or extraordinary gestures. I just wanted to spend this one day making memories with someone who has been such a significant part of my life. There were so many little things on my bucket list that I had saved specifically for you—places I wanted to go with you, things I wanted us to do together, pictures I wanted to take, conversations I imagined having, random, stupid, ordinary moments that probably wouldn't mean anything to anyone else but meant something to me simply because I wanted to experience them with you.
And maybe that's what hurts. Because I told you. I told you I had plans. I told you there were things I wanted to do. But like so many times before, something simple became complicated. Everything had to be opened up, examined and questioned layer by layer.
What exactly are you planning? Why? What's the purpose? Why do you want to do this? What's behind it?
And somewhere between answering those questions and trying to explain myself, I stopped wanting to do any of it. Because when every simple desire comes with ten questions, eventually even something you were incredibly excited about starts feeling like something you have to justify.
And maybe what I secretly wanted was exactly the opposite. I wish, just once, you had asked me yourself. I wish you had been the one to say, "I know this might be our last birthday like this. I want to make it special for you. Tell me what's on your list." Or maybe, "Give me that ridiculous bucket list of yours. Let's see how many things we can do today." Or simply, "Come on, let's do all those things you've always wanted to do with me.
"Maybe we wouldn't have completed everything. Maybe we would have managed just one or two things. But God, it would have meant so much to me. Not because of what we did, but because you wanted to do it too. Because for once, I wouldn't have had to ask. I wouldn't have had to explain the purpose behind wanting a memory with you. I wouldn't have had to convince you that there wasn't some hidden intention behind it. You would simply have understood that this day mattered to me.
And yes, you were there. For whatever reason, you were there. But sometimes someone's physical presence isn't the same as feeling that they genuinely want to be there. And that's what I wanted. I didn't just want you to be there. I wanted you to want to be there.
There is such a huge difference between the two. Because when someone questions your intentions so much beforehand, even when they eventually agree, you can't completely enjoy it anymore. Somewhere in your head, you start wondering whether they are doing it because they genuinely want to or because you asked enough times. And I never wanted my birthday with you to feel like an obligation. I never wanted to feel as though I had put you at gunpoint and said, You have to spend this day with me.
Especially not this birthday. Especially not when somewhere inside me I already knew that this particular moment in our lives would never exist again. Because that's the thing I'm struggling with tonight. I will never be 31 again. There will never again be this exact day. And maybe there will never again be a birthday where you and I exist in each other's lives the way we do right now. Next year, I will be different. You might be somewhere completely different. Our lives may look nothing like they do today. Maybe we won't speak. Maybe we won't know what is happening in each other's lives. Maybe by then, I'll simply have to accept that the person who once occupied such a huge space in my everyday world isn't part of it anymore.
And that is why this birthday mattered more than perhaps I could explain to you. It wasn't just a birthday to me. It felt like the last chance to preserve a version of us before it disappeared. Maybe that sounds overly emotional. Maybe logically, one day shouldn't carry this much weight. But some days aren't painful because of the day itself. They're painful because you know you can never recreate them. I can celebrate another birthday. I can go to those places another day. I can complete that bucket list someday. I can take those pictures with somebody else. But I cannot recreate 31-year-old me, on this day, with you. That combination existed once, and now it's gone. That's why the things we didn't do are hurting more than they probably should. Because there is no next time for this exact moment.
And somewhere, perhaps foolishly, I wanted one beautiful last memory. Something that years from now, regardless of where life took us, I could look back on and smile. Something that would make me think, Whatever happened between us afterwards, I'm glad we had that day. I wanted one day without analysing what we were, without questioning where this was going, without trying to understand what every action meant, without expectations, explanations, suspicions or fear. Just you and me. Just doing stupid little things from my stupid little bucket list. Laughing. Taking pictures. Making memories. Being us for one last day without worrying about what would happen the day after.
But that day is over now. And the strangest part is that what scares me isn't only losing the relationship I once imagined having with you. It's losing your presence. The thought that someday you won't be somewhere around me anymore. You won't be within my reach, my vicinity, my everyday world. I won't casually know how you're doing. I won't know when something good happens to you. I won't have some silly reason to talk to you. I won't see you around and think, Okay, he's still here.
For so long, no matter how complicated everything became, there was still one last thread keeping our worlds connected. One last medium that meant we still had to talk, still had to see each other, still existed somewhere in each other's everyday lives. And soon, even that thread will disappear. Maybe your decision is right. Maybe completely separating our lives is what eventually needs to happen. And perhaps someday I will understand it without feeling this terrified by it. But understanding something logically doesn't make your heart immediately ready to live through it. Because how do you prepare yourself for someone going from being part of your everyday existence to becoming someone you simply used to know? I don't know.
And despite everything, I don't think you are a bad person. I really don't. I just wish, at least once, you had tried to understand what I was feeling instead of being so certain about how it would end. Because I wasn't a bad person either. Maybe we weren't wrong people; maybe our timing, circumstances, and the way everything began were wrong. And sometimes I wish we had at least tried to find out. I wish, just once, you had given me that place in your life—not forever, not with a guarantee, but simply a genuine chance to be the person I always wanted to be for you. Maybe it wouldn't have worked out. Maybe somewhere along the way we would have realised that you were right all along. But at least then we would have known because we tried, not because we assumed. And I know myself—I would have tried my absolute best to make it work.
Who knows, maybe the reality would have been completely different from everything you were afraid it would become. Neither you nor I can see the future, so how could either of us know for certain that we would have failed? An arranged marriage comes with the possibility of working beautifully or falling apart. A love marriage carries the same possibilities. And strangely, even a love that begins one-sidedly can someday become something completely mutual—or it may not. There are no guarantees anywhere. I never wanted a guarantee from you. I think I just wanted one honest chance to find out what we could have been, instead of spending the rest of my life wondering what might have happened if, just once, you had tried too.
And maybe that's why I wanted this birthday so badly. I wasn't trying to create the perfect birthday. I wasn't trying to force a future. I wasn't even asking you to promise me another birthday together. I think I was simply trying to make one beautiful memory before everything changed. And maybe somewhere inside me, I just wished you had understood that without me having to explain it. I wish you had looked at me and said, "I know we may never get this exact moment again. So tell me—what do you want to do today?" And I wish I could have handed you my list, and you could have laughed at half of it, maybe said no to a few things, and maybe we would have managed only one or two. But at least we would have tried. Together.
That's all I wanted.
Because now the date has changed. My birthday is over. And no matter what happens from here, I will never be 31 on 29th August with you again.
There may be other birthdays, other places, other people, other versions of me, maybe even happier ones. But this exact time, this exact age, this exact version of you and me will never exist again.
And maybe that's why it hurts this much. Not because my birthday wasn't perfect, but because I knew something was ending, and before it did,
I just wanted one day worth remembering.
~AV✍🏻✨

Comments
Post a Comment